The Wheels On My Car Go...Nowhere At All, Currently

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

UPDATED UPDATE!! When we got to the dealership, I suddenly realized that if I was going to commit to paying them hundreds of dollars every month, I might as well be paying it for a new car, instead of slowly creating a new car by replacing my old one piece by piece. SO! After crunching the numbers with my brother-in-law, car salesman extraordinaire, I drove home in a NEW CAR!! It is so exciting! With options!! And all working parts!! I woke up this morning and ran to the window to make sure it was really there!


This post is brought to you by Chevrolet, who reminds you why they're currently in Washington, D.C., asking Congress to raise their allowance.


I grew up in the Rust Belt (which becomes the Snow Belt in the winter!!). I knew plenty of people whose parents worked in steel mills or in steel-related factories. So I've made a point of always driving American cars. And all in all, I haven't been too disappointed. I mean, in the last 12 years, I've only needed to fix or replace: the entire main electrical system (Dodge); the brakes, twice (Ford); the silver pony on the front of the mustang (not really Ford's fault, that one); the brakes, AGAIN (Chevy); the side mirrors, twice (Chevy, but myself and the City of Cincinnati maintenance department can share the blame for those); the serpentine belt (Ford); and the power steering gasket (Chevy). So you know, normal maintenance.

Those issues aside, my 9-year-old Chevy SUV has been a pretty sturdy and dependable car until lately. I've been having problems doing some unimportant maneuvers like stopping and turning around corners. Due to the current state of our finances, I've been trying the Christian Science method of car repair. Apparently my faith isn't strong enough because yesterday I nearly launched, Dukes of Hazzard-style, into the Ohio River. Luckily all that training I got in the Snow Belt paid off and I was able to wrestle the car back onto the road and avoid completely skidding out. But the experience was sufficiently harrowing to convince me to actually take the car into the dealership for a physical. The major downside (aside from what I'm sure will be a huge bill) is that I've been forced to spend the day cleaning my house, blogging, reading other blogs, futzing around on Facebook, and reading Twilight (more on that later!). All of this instead of doing important Thanksgiving-related tasks like picking up my 25-lb turkey. Not that I don't love doing all the things I've been doing, but if I don't get my car back soon, my family will be eating cereal for Thanksgiving. Sorry, guys! Its not too late to change your plans!

UPDATE: I just talked to the dealership and its going to cost me $1600 to fix my stupid car. Gee, guys, do you think you could spare a few bucks from the $25 billion dollars you asked Congress for? Or at least, could you give me a ride to pick up my turkey?

Posted by oballard at 1:56 PM  
6 comments
Amy in Ohio said...

Hate car trouble. Let me know if you need a lift!

November 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

oh no...I'm sorry! Please please let me know if you need me to pick something up at the store or if I can bring anything!

ps--remember how the power steering completely broke on my 2 yr old oldsmobile while I was wrestling it through 3 feet of snow? that was fun. Or how the engine cylinder #4 would randomly shut off and the entire car would shake like the Mean Streak at cedar point? or how the emergency lights button fell inside the dashboard, rendering that service unusable? *hmph* I think I'll stick with the mazda...

love you and can't wait to see you!

November 26, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Stella B said...

@Amy in OH: Thanks! Luckily I don't have to work again until Sunday so I can just hang out around the house. But I appreciate the offer!

@Sweetpea: I do remember. That was totally awesome American engineering.
Luckily, my new part is under warranty. Huzzah! A lifetime warranty on one piece on a 9 year old car. From a soon-to-be bankrupt company. Thanks, guys!

November 26, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Loree said...

Yes, my Buick is undergoing similar troubles. Random repairs in the last year, most clocking in around $1k or just under. Not worth it, so we're going to have it trade 'er in come New Year, methinks.

November 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM  
Maura said...

Congrats on your new car! I always feel a little silly, but there really is something special about driving off the lot in YOUR car that NO ONE has ever owned before. Enjoy! :-)

December 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM  
~m said...

geez, I'm glad you didn't investigate the depths of the Ohio in your car. There are probably better ways to do it.
Glad to hear you have new (and hopefully safer) wheels!

December 2, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment