COTW - Of Mice and Customers

Monday, November 17, 2008

In the spirit of the season, I'm doing today's Customer of the Week following yesterday's abysmal customer experience. Yin/yang, etc etc. This week's winner was another lady of a certain age who was buying Christmas paraphernalia. Normally I'm not a big fan of Christmas kitsch (she says...prior to unpacking a whole freakin' tub of Christmassy stuff I've accumulated through the years) But we sell these little mouse figurines that are pretty darn cute with their little christmas elf hats on. Anyway, the COTW was buying a few of the tiny elvish mice.

"I have a friend who's got a problem with mice in her house" she told me. "So I'm going to sneak these in. She needs to learn to laugh about the situation". Now that alone probably would have been enough to make me laugh, because...well, that's really cute. I commiserated with her friend, explaining that our 100-year old house also had served as a rodent flophouse during the winter months. She then told me the cutest story ever: In a nutshell, she and her husband had been having problems with mice all winter. They finally tracked down where the little guys were coming in, and found a nest with no mama mouse. Inside were three teeny, brand new baby mice no bigger than her fingernail. Which she and her husband rescued, kept in a hamster cage, and raised as pets! Altogether now.....awwwwwwww.

Posted by oballard at 8:37 PM  
6 comments

awwww...but definitely some ewwww, too!


Sorry about that jerk customer you wrote out yesterday. Alas, I know just the type you speak of. I think I've had their relative in my store!

November 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM  

Yikes. That's not cute. I am not a fan of rodents. My sister on the other hand has had several pet rats.

November 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

Funny! I like it. Have you read David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames? One chapter is a similar story about him adopting a spider as a pet for the winter.

November 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

awww remember our gus and mickey christmas tree ornaments??

i <3 christmas mice :)

November 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

I can't help myself..awwww. When I was little my mom was always rescuing animals. We had mice, gerbils, guinnea pigs, chipmunks, you name it.

November 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM  
Loree said...

That's pretty freaking adorable.

November 19, 2008 at 2:36 AM  

Post a Comment