COTW - and a lesson about judging books by their covers

Thursday, November 13, 2008

I had initially planned a serious Customer of the Week Post centering around some post-election issues. I wanted to award the COTW to all the white people buying Song of Solomon, presumably because Barack Obama said it was one of his favorite books. Or to the man who bought a stack of Audacity of Hope to send to his friends in Europe and South America because, he said, he was so proud of America for getting it right. However, one customer who came in this afternoon just had to be the COTW because she taught me an important lesson about judging books (or customers) by their appearance. And also because she was kind of bad-ass.

About half an hour before I was due to leave this afternoon, a little old lady came up to the register. I braced myself for 1) being bitched at for not carrying enough Jesus-centric Christmas cards 2) carrying too much liberal-biased Barack Obama propaganda or 3) some other nonsense that would require me to mentally hum "la la la la la" while faking a bookstore-approved level of customer service. You probably know the type. Little old lady sweater, lots of makeup, hair that most likely requires the use of one of the plastic hat things when it rains. But, all she wanted was to ask how she could replace her customer card. I went into my spiel about how we can look her up when she makes purchases so its no big deal to not have a card, blah blah blah, when you renew we can get you a new card, yada yada yada.

Old lady: "okay. I just wanted to check. I lost my wallet when I got carjacked last week".

Me: "!!!"

It wasn't just that she'd gotten carjacked - you don't hear that every day. It was the fact that she was so blase, and seemed more irritated that now she had to replace all of the stuff in her wallet. And it gets better! She had gotten jacked in an area of town that mainly consists of college bars where kids go to get cheap beer and listen to indie bands. Was she lost? Picking up her grandson? Driving home after a Wussy concert? I'll never know. But needless to say, I hope someday I can be as badass and chill as that old lady. Rock on, grandma!

Posted by oballard at 6:35 PM  
8 comments
~m said...

Crap! Who carjacks a little old lady? Dudes ought to be sent to a penal colony and forced to clean bedpans all day.

November 13, 2008 at 8:12 PM  
Stella B said...

I know! At least those guys are usually so stupid they get caught quickly.

But good for her for not letting it turn her into someone too scared to go out of the house.

November 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

Wow. Shame on someone that would carjack a senior citizen.

You may have inspired me to me start an series of my own. I volunteer in my kids elementary school library and some of the kids crack me up. It's my favorite two hours of the week.

November 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

Nobody should carjack an old lady. She's probably so chill because she knows karma is going to bite her carjacker BAD!

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

was she by bogarts?? poor thing. :(

November 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Stella B said...

@Mama Gingertree - definitely do it! Kids say such hilarious things.

@Laura - one can only hope so

@Sweetpea - yep.

November 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

Great story! Enjoying the blog -- I must read up on the Crayon archives.

November 14, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Maura said...

Wow! I didn't see that coming. Let's hope that karma is, indeed, a bitch and that whoever did that to her gets theirs when the time is right.

I hope she comes in again and you learn more of the story.

December 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment