Overheard at the Playground

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Remember that one episode of the X-Files where there was the teenager who was a faith healer? And how it was supposed to be about the nature of faith, but really it was about how kids that talk like adults creep us out? Except for this kid, of course, who was just really dorky, until he grew up and became awesome. Anyway...today at the playground. Lil Blue and I were running around on the jungle gym when I heard a young boy (maybe eight years old) and his even younger friend talking. Here's what I heard (I swear I'm not making any of this up)

Kid: "You see what your problem is? Its that your clothes don't match your personality"
Younger Kid: "What do you mean?"
Clinton Kelly: "What you wear and how you look influence how people perceive you"
Bud Fox:"So what should I do?"
Gordon Gekko: "Well, look at it this way. If you dress like a princess, people will think you're a princess. Heck, if you dress like a cat, people will think you're a cat. You need to think about what you want to be, and then dress accordingly"

Seriously? Is this how kids talk these days? I mean, I can't argue with the kid's advice. And he was wearing a very fashion-forward blue-on-blue ensemble complemented by vintage Pumas (even more impressive given that he was probably -15 years old when the original Pumas were hot). Lil Blue and I looked at each other, and I'm sure she was thinking "yeah, mom, thanks for letting the kids think I'm a dirty hippie love child being raised by two moms, what with the no makeup and the cargo shorts and the Keens, you might as well be wearing an Ani DiFranco tshirt. I'll just be over here with the fancy moms wishing I had a ballerina costume on instead of this ridiculous Grateful Dead tshirt" Damn, kids are so judgmental these days.

Posted by oballard at 4:16 PM  
5 comments

OMG, hilarious! Strike that. This post was Awe - wait for it - some!

It was also a little bit creepy, but totally more awesome.

:)

October 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

That is too funny. Maybe there is hope for our future.

October 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

hahahahha. remember what a dirtball i was (am)? some things don't change.

side & related notes:
1. do you watch bones? Or fringe? love them both.

2. i have the entire x-files collection on dvd. including the first movie and director commentaries. yes, i am a meganerd. remember watching it when it was still on friday night??

October 16, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

ps i'll bring them on thanksgiving if you like :)

October 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

That's hilarious. I wonder what that kid will do when he grows up. :)

October 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment