The Inaugural Blue Crayon Customer of the Week Award

Monday, October 20, 2008


Regular readers may have noticed that when I talk about my job, I tend to spend 90% of my time complaining about the customers. That's because 90% of them suck. But I realized that I should also be talking about the 10% that don't suck, who aren't assholes and who help me enjoy my job. Therefore, starting today, I'll be posting once a week to congratulate the Blue Crayon Customer of the Week. Winners are determined in my sole and completely arbitrary discretion.

This week we actually have a tie:

COTW 1: Tiny Obama supporter. Today a young girl (maybe 6 or 7 years old) came into the store with her abuela. She was a little elfin thing and she immediately flitted up to our table of election books. "Look!" she said. "Its Obama!". And clapped her hands. My heart grew three sizes that shift, because awwww. And yay! Yes we can, indeed!

COTW 2: Nice mom with her pre-teen daughter. Work in retail for any length of time, and you will see the entire range of horrible parenting. From neglect to emotional abuse and everything in between. Our store is in a ritzy area of town, so we tend to get a lot of the Type A parents. The poor kids drag in, exhausted from piano/soccer/swimming/French class and bearing a long list of private school-mandated reading. Mom or Dad snips at them (and me!) the whole time and the kid never gets to buy a book they actually want to read, because god forbid they take time away from something they can put on their college applications. So anyway, I was bracing myself when a mom came up with her daughter (in a soccer uniform, natch). Imagine my surprise when the mom was nice - really pleasant! She asked me if I could recommend some books for her daughter, and then let her daughter explain what she liked to read. And she listened while her daughter talked! And would randomly squeeze her shoulders! You could tell mom and daughter actually liked each other. It was such a change from the normal pre-teen parenting dynamic that I see that I talked to them for a long time. It turns out the daughter likes science fiction, so good for her!

An honorary mention goes to any customer who can make me laugh. This week's winner: the husband of one of the aforementioned Type-A moms. The mom (not a COTW) stormed off in a huff because I directed her to the information desk, for, you know information. Not just to get her out of my face (although that was somewhat true too) but because I was the only one at the register, and I knew that the info desk would be able to spend more time with her and actually find her stuff quicker. Anyway. After she blew off, her husband said "oh well. she doesn't like me much either". Hahaha! Also....kind of sad. For him.

Posted by oballard at 8:42 PM  
3 comments

Have had a few of the same type of customers. Usually, though, I get the eye-rolling husband, the one who does that to apologize for his wife's attitude. Can't wait for the holiday shopping to really kick into gear!

October 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

I loved that last one. You work stories are great. Nothing like interacting with the public to provide great blog fodder. I wonder how many times someone has written a blog post about me after a random encounter... hmmmm.

Hooray for the tiny Obama supporter and the good mom! Maybe there is hope for our future.

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM  
Maura said...

It's nice to hear that at least some other people try not to be assholes in stores!

I liked your awards and thought they were well-awarded. :-)

October 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment