Bless Me, Internets

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We all have our secrets. We've all done something we're ashamed of - done it in the dark when we thought no one would find out. For some of us, it was with just one person, others were all alone in their bedrooms. Some might have even done it with a group.

Yes, we've all enjoyed a movie or TV show and been ashamed to admit it.

(Come on now, someone here had to have paid to see Waterworld)

So, here is my list of shame - I'm bringing it out into the light for all to see. Step into the bloggy confessional with me and share your secret, guilty pleasures!

1. Galaxy Quest: I love this movie. I own this movie. I watch it all the time. There's just something in the way that it pokes fun at science fiction, while simultaneously celebrating it, that I find touching. Mr Blue and I frequently shout "Never give up! Never surrender!" Because we're dorks. But we're dorks with a collection of swords and weapons. Ha!

2. A League of Their Own: I'm embarrassed by this one because I make a point of never watching chick flicks. On paper, this movie has everything I hate, namely feelings. And no explosions. But for some reason, I can't not watch it when I flip past it on TV. Granted, its nominally a sports movie, but we all know its really about feelings.

3. Farscape: I was a late-comer to this fabulously cheesy TV series about an American astronaut who goes through a wormhole and yada yada yada. One of the main cast-members? Was a muppet. Every episode contains at least one science fiction cliche, if not many. But yet, I got sucked in after the first couple of episodes and couldn't stop watching.

4. Stargate: Atlantis: By the time you reach this spin-off of a spin-off, any original greatness from the Stargate movie has been greatly diluted. But on Friday evenings after Lil Blue is in bed and my brain can't handle anything with, well, a complex plot or sophisticated character development, Stargate: Atlantis fills the void. Oh, and Jason Momoa is smokin' hot. And Rachel Luttrell topped Mr Blue and my list of "women who could take me in a fight in real life"*.

5. Labyrinth: Another movie featuring muppets. Weird. Also, David Bowie in purple stretch pants, a young (pre-Oscar!) Jennifer Connelly, and the Bog of Eternal Stench. And musical numbers! Who doesn't secretly love this movie? Communists, that's who.


*The complete list includes Rachel Luttrell, Jolene Blalock, Eliza Dushku, and Jessica Biel

Posted by oballard at 9:56 PM  
12 comments
Melissa said...

You forgot Torchwood.

Yes, Jason is smokin hot. But I still think Jennifer will pick McKay over him.

:)

September 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

I paid money to to go see Waterworld in the theater with my husband. We were the only ones there, and it was opening day!

Um, I own both Jonas Brothers' cds, purchased willingly by yours truly!

September 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM  
Stella B said...

@Melissa - I have that feeling too. Wrong choice, Jennifer! So very wrong!

@FADKOG - oh man, if I get into embarrassing music, I'll be here all night. I don't even know where to begin. Maybe with my "Monsters of Rock" collection of power ballads? TMI?

September 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

Great list. I loved League of Their Own. I am infamous at my house for loving bad movies. It's nice to know I am not alone.

September 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM  
Headless Mom said...

I'm not afraid to admit that I love A League Of Their Own. There, I said it.

The others, though-???? I'm not much of a sci-fi girl.

September 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM  
jessica said...

I own the Labrynth VHS. and I love it. Yes, yes I do.

September 25, 2008 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous said...

OK, new to this blog...love it - had to respond to this issue.
My first concert was Milli Vanilli - still love them. Have been known to stand up, dance and sing at the top of my lungs to "Girl you know its true" (I made my husband burn my cassette to CD!)
I am so ashamed....

Sophie's Mommy

September 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Stella B said...

@Anon (sophie's mom): there's no judging here! While I didn't own Milli Vanilli, I did own every album ever recorded by the Bangles, and a cassette single (rock on) of Vanilla Ice's "play that funky music".

September 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM  
sweetpea85 said...

oh, stella, you *know* my music taste is beyond embarrassing at times. so we'll leave that one alone.

tv shows: 1) gossip girl. i don't want to hear it, every single person on this show is smokin hot and so vapid, they make me look like a freakin' genius.
2) hole in the wall. YOU of all people should love this show, stella! Last episode featured midgets (inexplicably, with their silver-suited dog in tow) VS female body builders. nuff said?
3) i think the browns are so terrible they now rate as a guity pleasure.

movies: 1)90s teen movies. such as can't hardly wait, empire records (damn the man!) and reality bites.
2) pride and prejudice. all of 'em. even the new one where darcy is nowhere near proud enough and was more a wimpy pussy.
3) point break. KEAAAANUUU

ps---"internets" made me lol. did i ever tell you about the woman who called into dell and told me she found her long lost brother a few weeks ago and now they "talk through the emails"?

September 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM  
your goalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
September 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM  
your goalie said...

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite movies for those very reasons listed; well, those and the fact that I absolutely love any movie Alan Rickman is in....including Harry Potter (there's my movie). My shameful love in the music world has to be Bryan Adams, I've like him since I was four (and no I hate that Robin Hood song, no REAL B.A. fan wants to hear that in concert).

September 25, 2008 at 4:01 PM  
stef said...

like stella's mom, i'm also new to this blog, but i love sharing guilty pleasures, so i couldn't resist commenting too. (even though it's over a month later, but let's gloss over that, shall we?) :)

i LOVE galaxy quest. tim allen was okay, but sigourney weaver? awesome. alan rickman? brilliant (as always). plus, it's sci-fi! and it's funny!

as far as my personal guilty pleasures? oy...*takes a deep breath*.. romy and michelle's high school reunion. there, i said it. it is so completely stupid-yet-hilarious (like zoolander), i've seen it at least 20 times and will probably watch it at least 20 more.

also? hudson hawk. it's terrible. it's downright awful. but i really love bruce willis, and in comedic roles, i like him even more.

*goes to hide in a cave*

November 2, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment