All the News That's Fit to Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Its been a busy few weeks around the Blue household. Lil' Blue came down with a case of roseola (seriously, its a real disease. I didn't believe it either. It sounds like something Oompa Loompas would catch. But in reality its no fun whatsoever) So we weathered that storm.

Half Marathon training is going well. On Sunday Mr Blue and I did an 8 mile run. My time is still pretty slow for the long runs - its definitely time to start incorporating intervals and speed work. Also? I discovered that almost-30 year old knees cannot be asked to pick up and run without adequate stretching and icing time. But, icing time = lazy TV time, so there's that.

The Blue house is undergoing some renovations. Its a nearly 100-year old Craftsman style home with lots of "potential", i.e. "hey we're getting a great deal on this place, all it needs is new paint/roof/deck/carpet/retaining walls/more paint/exterior and interior doors" We have a contractor (yet another!) coming to give us an estimate on rebuilding the craptastic DIY deck currently embarrassing the house. I had a near-meltdown when our front door lock spontaneously broke down (I didn't even know that could happen!) Of course this happened when I was outside, which necessitated a trip into the house via the dining room windows. As the lock was apparently melded permanently with the (also craptastic) front door, I was afraid we'd need a new door. But Mr Blue's handiness with a power drill, razor blade, and hammer enabled us to remove the lock and replace it. I've since decided to paint said craptastic door, which apparently in its former lives has been 1) bright green; 2) teal; and 3) purple. Yuck.

I applied for a job at my former law school. I don't want to spill the beans on which position it is, but it sounds like an awesome job, and one that would allow me to actually make a difference (for reals!) So my fingers are crossed!

Lil' Blue continues to amaze us with her new skills. Every day it seems like she has a new word or new thing she can do. And she walks almost like a regular person, as opposed to the drunken Donkey Kong style toddling she had been doing. Even though we've sacrificed much in terms of quality of life, I wouldn't have traded the past 14 months for anything. Watching her grow has been the most fun I've ever had. We're off to a local water park this afternoon, where Lil' Blue has discovered the wave pool. She likes to go deeper and deeper until the waves actually crest over her head. I apparently have a reckless adventurer like myself....hurray! And oh no!

Posted by oballard at 11:07 AM  
3 comments

Sounds like you have quite the budding free spirit on your hands! That'll no doubt make every day a fabulous advenuture!

I want to paint our craptastical front door, too, but to do so would also mean painting the entire house. It needs it, to be sure, but I know that's a job that I'm not cut out for!

Good luck with the job lead!

August 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM  
Stella Blue said...

Oh, don't I know it....

Our whole house needs paint desperately too (another DIY job by the previous owner) I just know that when I get the door done (correctly) the rest of the house will look that much worse. But it was starting to look like olive green with teal, kelly green and purple speckles, which.....blech.

August 13, 2008 at 12:34 PM  
Mekhismom said...

I am visiting from All Mediocre and wow you have alot going on. You house does sound like a major project but I am sure that the final outcome will be amazing. My son is 14 months too isn't it amazing what our little ones can do?

August 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment