Weekend News Roundup

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Our trip to California went brilliantly! After three cross-country flights with a babe under one, I've learned the following:

  • Always fly direct. Layovers only increase the risk of some sort of disaster.
  • Check your car seat. Knock on wood, ours has never been lost, and we haven't had to deal with carrying it through the airport.
  • Leave early in the morning. Yes, it sucks to be up and out at the crack of dawn, but you'll be grateful when you reach your destination and still have time to settle in and get the baby down at a decent hour. She'll be exhausted because she probably didn't nap all day, and by going to bed at her normal time, she'll be back to a regular schedule that much sooner.
  • Fly first class. Its worth every penny. Shorter check-in lines, bigger seats, your own bathroom, free food...free DRINKS....Worth. It.
  • Make a list of things you want to do at your destination. Cut it in half. Cut it in half again. Now you have a realistic goal of things to do.

Today we are going to our one-year childbirth class reunion. It blows my mind that all of our babies have turned one. It really seems like we were all doing our relaxation breathing and learning about our pelvic floor muscles, like, last week. Unbelievable.

I had my first unsubscription from the new mom's yahoo group I moderate. (Its a private group for my friends and invited friends-of-friends, so don't go looking for us!) But that makes it even sadder that someone would unsubscribe, especially without any warning or any explanation. I emailed J to see what's up and to tell her that we'd miss her and hoped she still wanted to hang out sometimes, but I haven't heard back. I'm sad to think that either something in her life has happened, or (worse) that something happened within the group to make her feel unwelcome. I guess some frienships come with an expiration date, but it still makes me sad because I like her.

I met Tito Ortiz at work last month. Nicest. Guy. Ever. I'm serious! He took the time to talk and personalize every person's book and memorabilia, and even stayed later to make sure everyone got a chance to meet and get their stuff signed. He took pictures with the staff, and was incredibly gracious. Here's a guy who has had a lot of success and never forgotten where he came from. You could tell he sincerely appreciated his fans, and his fans return that love a thousandfold. I'm already a huge UFC and MMA fan, but now I'll be sure to root extra hard for the Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

I've been working a lot lately, when it rains it pours, as they say. But all that means extra money for us, so yay!

The state of Ohio apparently doesn't want me to pay my yearly registration dues, and they're letting me know that by making it impossible for me to find a site to pay them online. Or even to check and see when they're due. This is an issue for me, because I don't work in an office so theres always a chance of a dues notice getting lost. So any Ohio attorneys who have paid your dues online, drop me a line and enlighten me.

Posted by oballard at 11:04 AM  
3 comments
Anonymous said...

Love the blog! I can't believe the babies are 1 either : ( I miss hanging out w/ everyone more often.
Hilary

July 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
Jenn said...

I didn't get your e-mail!!! I unsubsribed to resubscribe because I wasn't receiving the posts. I e-mailed you twice and haven't heard back from you. ????? Maybe our e-mails don't like each other. Okay, I will have to call you soon to try to figure this out.

BTW! I love you blog!!! Gives me inspiration. I think I'll be back to it during the winter.

July 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM  
Stella Blue said...

Weird! I emailed you again last night, too. I didn't get any of your emails either. So strange. They didn't go in my junk mail or anything...just off into space somewhere. Well I'm glad you weren't mad at us!!

Definitely give me a call when you guys are free and want to get together!

July 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment