Things Left Undone

Monday, July 14, 2008

This is the year I turn 30. The big day is still a few months off, but I've started thinking about things that I've started and not finished. I have a tendency to veer off into new activities as soon as the going gets tough - or boring - leaving a wash of unfinished tasks behind me. Here is a list of things I haven't finished, but hope to.


1. Finish getting my pilot's license. I logged around 30 hours in flight school several years ago. I'm many solo hours and one checkride away from being a fully licensed pilot. I quit because I had run out of money and time. I was preparing for my first bar exam and just couldn't find the big blocks of uninterrupted time you need to really work on flying. When I was flying, the average cost to achieve a private pilot's license was $6,000. Minimum. And that was for a motivated student who had the time to fly several times a week. Now that the cost of fuel has nearly doubled, I can't even imagine what it would cost to rent even the tiny thing I flew (that would be a Cessna 152)(it looked just like the one in the picture)


2. Get my black belt. This one was more about running out of time than money. I had two belts to go when a perfect storm of law school applications, wedding planning and relocation pelted me all at once. Mr Blue (a third degree black belt) technically could train me all the way to my first degree, although he's said that he would have me do my black belt test with an independent examiner so there is no question of impropriety and I could have my belt registered officially in Korea. We've talked about me starting my training again, but it'll take a lot of time when we are both free and rested. Ha! HA HA!


3. Improve my language ability. At different points in my life I was nearly fluent in French and Spanish. Both have degraded terribly over the years. I'd love to knock the rust off. I'm slowly working my way through a Spanish review workbook - I also have several friends from Mexico who have offered lots of free conversation. This year I vow to get over my insecurity and take them up on it!

4. Run a half marathon. I wanted to do one before Lil Blue turned one, but that didn't happen. I'm scheduled to run a half on my birthday in September.

I hate having so much unfinished business gnawing at me. Hopefully as Lil Blue gets older I can start working on these things - I want to look back in another 30 years and not wonder how things would have been different, if I'd only gotten up off my ass and worked on them.

Posted by oballard at 5:49 PM  
4 comments
sweetpea85 said...

i'm going to go ahead and remind you that while you might not have finished those things, you at least had the motivation and fearlessness to start them!! I'm proud of you for undertaking every endeavor :) my big sister is unstoppable!

July 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM  
Manager Mom said...

Good luck with your goals. I, too, would love to do the black belt, and am aiming for a full instead of a half marathon, sometime before my 40th. I have two more years (big gulp).

P.S. my kids named our new car Stella Blue. Random, I know, but there you go.

July 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM  
Melissa said...

I agree with sweetpea. But I hate to tell you, that list of unfinished stuff gets get longer. Sigh...

July 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM  
Stella Blue said...

@sweetpea - thanks! I'm so proud of you too :-)

@MM - good luck with the marathon. I know you're a very committed runner, I'm sure you can do it! If you can raise two kids and work full time, you have the stamina to do anything!

@Melissa - believe me, I know...these are the just the one's that bug me the most. There are definitely more! And now there are things that I want to do with Lil Blue as well....the list goes on!

July 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment