Ricki Lake: Home Birth Ambassador

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Apparently Ricki Lake's documentary The Business of Being Born has been influencing some celebrities to consider un-medicated, midwife-assisted homebirth. According to People Magazine, Boxer Laila Ali is planning to give birth to her first child at home.

While I didn't end up having Lil Blue at home, I am a staunch advocate of womens' right to choose that option, and I would recommend that anyone who is interested in homebirth check out The Business of Being Born. Its an absolutely stunning, well-crafted, powerful look at modern birth options in America. I had a successful natural birth in a hospital (and all in all, a great experience) but far too many women end up being pressured into unnecessary and potentially dangerous medical interventions, including C-sections.

Every woman deserves the opportunity to choose for herself where to give birth, and under what circumstances. Medical interventions should be a choice made by the woman in consultation with her physician. Unfortunately, too often interventions are presented as "hospital policy", or necessary even for normal births. My own physician pressured me incessantly to be induced on my due date, despite no evidence whatsoever that my body wasn't progressing normally. I went into labor on my own at exactly 41 weeks, and had an uneventful labor and birth. Lil Blue was born healthy, on her own schedule. While things worked out fine for us, I had to put on my "game face" entirely too much during my last month of pregnancy while I argued with a doctor who was telling me that waiting even one day past my due date would endanger my child. Even though every credible medical source that I researched on my own indicated that due dates are really only "best guesses" and that absent a medical reason to induce at 40 weeks, a healthy mother should be able to go as much as two full weeks past her due date before an induction should be considered.

Another resource for anyone interested in birth options is The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. Henci Goer is up-front about her bias in favor of natural birth, but she does an excellent job presenting all of the facts surrounding medications, inducements and C-sections.

Posted by oballard at 10:46 AM  
2 comments
Amy in Ohio said...

Check this out - any interest?
http://cincinnatiwomenbloggers.blogspot.com/

July 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

I have a friend who is so passionate about the option of home birth that she's been attending school for the past two years to complete her nursing degree and then wants to be certified as a doula.

My sister was pressured into delivering, and when she was induced, her labor was a terrifying rush.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting recently. What a quirk that we've got this book selling/belly dance thing going on!My DVR is loaded with episodes of "Shimmy". I'll be back!

July 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment