Happy Shimmies!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

You haven't heard me talk much about bellydancing lately, and here's why: the monthly cost of classes, in addition to the gas I would burn to drive the 20 minutes or so to get there has led me to go on yet another hiatus. I was totally bummed until I discovered that I can dance at home for free, courtesy of Fit TV's series Shimmy. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the series. The camera work is beautiful, if a tad dramatic. (Bellydancing in the snow? Really?) The series seems to be devoted to more traditional style than I am used to. With the exception of my very first introduction to bellydance, I train exclusively in tribal style. Tomato, tomahto.

My only gripe (you knew there would be one) is that the videos move very quickly. If you are new to bellydancing, you'd best have a DVR and practice with remote in hand, otherwise you'll very quickly get lost. Also (and this I'm sure is due to each episode only being 30 minutes long) the moves are shown, but not broken down or explained. So I fear that beginners will not develop very good technique. If you really want to learn to bellydance and you don't have access to a bellydance school, I would recommend picking up an instructional video.

For your viewing pleasure, here is a video of one of the foremost tribal style bellydancers, and my girlcrush, Rachel Brice.

Posted by oballard at 3:46 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment