Quick Update

Thursday, June 12, 2008

New post coming soon...I've been in first birthday party mode around here!

Also, my keyboard took a bath in some limeade (thanks for that Lil Blue) so typing on it sucks until I clean it off.

Not a whole lot of news around these parts. LB and I went to a La Leche League meeting this week. I used to be a regular, then quit going after I got sick in January and had to supplement with formula. I know, I know...I am making a much bigger deal about it than I should. Under the circumstances, it was formula or nothing since LB was not really eating solids at the time and we were out of frozen milk. I know that. But no one ever said mommy guilt was rational. Luckily my milk supply came back, we are still happily nursing, and I have gotten over my totally irrational feelings of failure. I've started going to LLL meetings again, because if I ever want to achieve my goal of becoming a lactation consultant I need to reconnect with LLL. I'm particularly interested in starting a Peer Counseling program to work with women in communities that traditionally have lower rates of breastfeeding - particularly inner-city and low-income women. Additionally, Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky have a large (and rapidly growing) Latino population. My dream job would be to work with these women and encourage breastfeeding in their communities, either under the auspices of LLL or as an independent lactation consultant.

Posted by oballard at 7:18 PM  
1 comments
Manager Mom said...

That's cool that you want to give back! I was astounded by how hard it was to breasfteed. My daughter was a preemie and she never latched and I pumped for her for a YEAR. And then when The Boy came along, I said, "Boy, you are taking it from the tap or it ain't happening at all." Luckily for both of us, he took it from the tap. Wish I'd had someone coaching me...

June 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment