Todays forecast: cloudy with a chance of running

Monday, May 19, 2008

If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.
Emil Zatopek

Today I forced myself to get back on the running wagon. Not the other wagon, that would suck. In fact, tonight's post is brought to you by Murphy's Stout (its whats for dinner!) Anyway, back to the story. As you know if you've been hanging out here lately, I have been sick. With the SARS. Or TB. Or something. But today I decided enough was enough, strapped LB into the jogging stroller, and ventured out. We did a very short run, just long enough for me to feel loose and warmed up.

I don't run because I enjoy it. I have had the occasional runner's high, and there are certainly times when I finish a run glad to have done it. What I really enjoy are running races. I'm competitive by nature, and races distill competition down to its base elements. Run faster than the person in front of you. There's no equipment, there are no teammates, its just you, faster or slower. I had originally planned on running the Country Music Half Marathon on April but backed out due to LB's continuing ear problems and non-sleeping. I just couldn't train the way I needed to. So I've penciled in the State to State Half Marathon in September (on my 30th birthday, in fact). I have yet to start my training program but I think today proved that its at least within the realm of possibility. The pneumonia hasn't beaten me yet!

The Half Marathon will be my longest race ever. I have a few 10K's and many 5K's under my belt, but 13.1 is a big goal for me. Until recently, I'd denied any interest in running a full marathon. I am a runner, its true - but marathoners are a different breed. If you can train for a half, you can train for a full - but you really have to want it. And I didn't. Until now. Lately I just can't get the idea out of my head. Every car I see with a 26.2 sticker makes me ponder whether I have it in me to do 26.2. Thousands of people do it every year...why not me? But first I have to survive a half. I'll update on my progress, because nothing helps you train like exposing yourself to public shame.

Posted by oballard at 9:47 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment