Fresh Racket

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

So I was hanging out with Lil' Blue today and we both started getting a little restless. At first I thought of going to our local kid's bookstore but we've been hanging out there a lot recently and I was feeling like something new. Also, I needed to hit a deli. I figure Mr. Blue will be more likely to watch Lil' Blue tonight so that I can go to bellydancing if there's a sandwich somewhere in the house. So off we went to our local Fresh Market. I never go there - I think I've been once in the last year, even though its close by. Once I got there I remembered why I never go. However, in the interests of fairness, there are definitely some positives about the place.

Negatives
The prices! Holy crap, y'all. Two bucks for a pound of conventional green peppers? No way. And you have to admit its ballsy to be selling regular ol' chewing gum for more than a buck when you share a parking lot with a CVS.

The whole "we started out as a little veggie stand in California" vibe they're trying to cultivate. Pull the other one, Fresh Market - you're owned by Kroger. You're about as old school, down-on-the-boardwalk as Hollister

Positives
I like that they empty your cart for you. When you've got a seven month old in a sling, not having to do it yourself saves time and backache

They do carry a fine selection of high-end organic products. While I am too cheap to buy any of said products, its always nice to know they're there, just in case

They carry the full line of Mrs Meyer's cleaning products. You hear that, Wild Oats? All the products.

All in all, I spent $50 on nothing that I need. Well, that Mrs Meyers scrubby stuff will be useful, and I am enjoying the tasty carrot souffle that I picked up at the deli. And I suppose it might have tired out Lil Blue somewhat, and that's always the number one goal.

Posted by oballard at 5:23 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment